We figure our regular readers of The Better Life are bursting with civic pride and can’t wait to show it -- and the best way to do that come Halloween time is to dress up like something that just screams “OKC.” Here are a few ideas for you.
- A Parking Meter – Perhaps you didn’t know that the biggest reason behind all those unpaid parking tickets you’ve got was first installed right here in Oklahoma City! Have stationary fun at the party while sporting a convenient excuse to keep boring folks from standing in front of you for too long.
- Captain W.L. Couch, OKC’s First Provisional Mayor – Though murdered in a dispute over his land near the present-day OU Health Sciences Center campus shortly after leaving office in 1890, W.L. Couch nevertheless sported a killer moustache and beard and therefore makes for a fantastic costume idea, hipster or not. Get that “grass grin” growing and maybe throw a six-shooter (fake, of course) on your hip and guard that claim!
- Wayne Coyne – So perhaps you have an affinity for glitter and grey suits, or you just like walking around in a homemade hamster ball whilst surrounded by confetti and weirdness. Either way, this is the costume for you. And you never know – if you’re at the right party, you might actually run into Wayne while you’re dressed like him! We’re not sure what would happen at that point, but one thing’s for sure – somebody’s mind is gonna be blown.
- OKC Mascots - Are you shy, but still like getting hugs from strangers? You don’t have to say anything to anyone in a big giant animal head. Rumble, Splash, Brooklyn and Brix are ready to be had for your pro-OKC sports team Halloweening pleasure. These costumes might be a little difficult to recreate, but we have faith in you. You can do it!
- Devon Tower – Get a big cardboard cylinder, a three-cornered hat, some Christmas lights and BANG! You’re a walking version of OKC’s tallest landmark. For added effect, papier-mâché your shoes into something resembling the building’s rotunda and podium. Now that would be impressive.
- Thunder Storm Chaser – Run around like a maniac waving a giant flag, jump on mini-trampolines, get the crowd pumped up and throw out some free t-shirts! The only con is that this could get expensive if you don’t own your own t-shirt factory.
What other OKC-centric costume ideas are we missing? Let us know in the comments!