The metro also offers a plethora of golf courses both public and private not run by the city. Whether you are a beginner who wants to learn the game or a scratch golfer who wants to challenge themselves on courses that have hosted major championships for the best players in the world, a course for you is nearby. For a more comprehensive list check below but here are some local courses that have made national headlines:
- Oak Tree National- Oak Tree National is not only one of the most prestigious golf courses in our state but also ranks as one of the top courses in the country. The course opened in 1971 and was designed by the renowned Pete Dye. The private course has hosted multiple major golf championships including the U.S. Amateur, PGA Championship, Senior PGA Championship and U.S. Senior Open. The course is also home to no fewer than seven championship golfers from the PGA and Senior PGA.
- Oklahoma City Golf and Country Club- Designed by Perry Maxwell and opened in 1920, this 6,947-yard course is located in the heart of Nichols Hills.
- Gaillardia Country Club- Opened in 1998, Gaillardia has become a nationally recognized private country club and residential community. The expansive links course, designed by architect Arthur Hills and later renovated by famed player Tom Kite, can play from 5,100 yards to well over 7,300. The manicured course features generous fairways but requires precision iron play which challenges every level of skill from the astute to the beginner. The clubhouse is world renowned and has many recreational amenities including tennis, pool, fitness center, and an indoor golf learning facility.
- Jimmie Austin Golf Club- One great advantage of having powerhouse college golf programs is they also offer top-notch courses to test your skills. You can play the same courses that have helped shape some of golf’s biggest names. In Norman, the University of Oklahoma won the 1988 NCAA Championship and has produced 16 conference titles and 50 All-Americans. Their home course is the Jimmie Austin Golf Club. This top-rated course has hosted multiple amateur golf championships in its history. Best of all, the course is open to the public.
- Karsten Creek- This course is home to the Oklahoma State University Cowboys and Cowgirls. The Cowboys are widely regarded as one of the top programs in all of collegiate sports. The Cowboys have won 10 NCAA titles, 8 individual champions, 160 All-Americans and more than 50 conference titles. Karsten Creek was named the best new course by Golf Digest when it opened and was also named the best college course in the country by Travel & Leisure Golf Magazine. The course has hosted multiple NCAA Championships and is also open to the public.