While forecasts for Oklahoma City still predict some rain this week, we are quickly moving into the season where it’s fun to be outside as much as possible. Oklahoma City has one of the sunniest climates around – around 65 percent of our days each year are sunny and perfect for outdoor activities.
If you’re stuck for ideas, here are a few to get you started exploring:
- We’ve written about this before, but check out hiking, nature and wildlife at Martin Park Nature Center at 5000 W Memorial Road, an oasis of calm by the busy John Kilpatrick Turnpike.
- Go to Lake Overholser on the city’s west side and check out the Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge, 1,000 acres featuring a hardwood forest, marshlands and animals. Hike or bike, or explore on water with kayaks or canoes. Find out more by searching “Stinchcomb” at www.travelok.com. Or call 405.297.3882.
- Visit the Oklahoma City Zoo, and see if you can get a glimpse of the baby gorilla born in March.
- Play at Oklahoma City’s two major amusement parks – White Water Bay for pool fun and Frontier City if you like your rides with a Western feel.
- Fish at any number of Oklahoma City’s lakes and ponds.